One of our family traditions is to break the Yom Kippur fast with bagels, lox, and all kinds of yummy kugels. Kugels are noodle puddings. It always cracked me up that we would fast all day and then feast on the most fattening kugels.
This graham cracker crust kugel recipe has been with my family since I was a little kid and makes its way to every one of our Jewish holiday tables. Heart-healthy this recipe is not, with 10 eggs, sour cream, and butter. Oy Vey! But, it is truly one of the most delicious things you will ever eat. And it's worth the once-a-year treat.
- 1 lb. fine egg noodles cooked and drained
- 3/4 lb. melted butter
- 1 lb. creamed cottage cheese
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 10 eggs
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients, except graham cracker crumbs, with half of the melted butter. Put into a well-greased 14x10x3 inch baking pan.
- Cover with graham cracker crumbs and drizzle the remaining butter on top.
- Bake for 1 hour.